Students may pursue an MPhil, resulting in a 60,000 word thesis. The MPhil is usually completed in two years.
We offer high-quality doctoral training to postgraduate students who wish to pursue an MPhil or PhD. As a research student you will work closely with two allocated supervisors who will assist you in planning, executing and writing up your research. We encourage applications in any topic related to English studies.
Faculties, Schools & Departments
School of English
Our current areas of research include:
- 19th-century British and American literature
- creative writing
- disprogramme analysis
- fairy tale
- gender studies
- language in the classroom
- Malaysian literature
- new literatures in english
- world englishes
If you are interested in applying, we would recommend that you familiarise yourself with our research areas and staff expertise and then contact us to discuss your research project proposal with the relevant supervisor in the first instance
- An upper second class honours degree (or international equivalent) in the relevant area. Non-UK qualifications will be assessed against this standard.
English language requirements
- IELTS: 7.0 (with no less than 6.0 in each element)
- TOEFL (iBT): 100 (minimum 20 in Speaking and 19 in all other elements)
- PTE (Academic): 67 (with no less than 55 in each element)
- MUET: Band 5
February & September