About Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman
Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman (UTAR) is one of the leading progressive private universities in Malaysia. The University was established in 2002 as a not-for-profit private university and is wholly-owned by the UTAR Education Foundation.
Guided by its vision to be a global university of educational excellence, UTAR is highly reputed as one of the fastest growing private higher education institutions in the country with phenomenal growth in all aspects of its development since its inception. With the first intake of only 411 students in its one campus in 2002, the University's enrolment has now reached 26,000 students with campuses located in Kampar, Perak and Bandar Sungai Long, Selangor.
UTAR has graduated over 50,000 students since its inaugural convocation in 2005 and has made impressive strides in establishing a strong reputation as a comprehensive University with dedication to achieving excellence in teaching and research. The University was awarded self-accreditation status by the Ministry of Higher Education in 2017, an indication of UTAR's quality and efficient administration of its programmes and operations.
The university currently offers more than 110 academic programmes in its nine faculties, four centres and three institutes. The programmes offered are from Foundation to Bachelor's, Master's, and PhD degrees. Its diverse range of quality and industry-focused programmes are all approved by the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE). UTAR's programmes have also received accreditation from more than 20 international and Malaysian professional bodies.
The university is committed to promoting research and scholastic developments in diverse fields through its Research, Development and Commercialisation (RDC) initiatives, its 30 research centres and the UTAR Global Research Network. The UTAR Undergraduate Research Scheme (URS) was initiated to allow undergraduates undergo a structured programme to train them in various aspects of research project implementation.
To date, the University has established formal collaborations with over 200 educational institutions and industry corporations, both local and overseas, to facilitate international exchanges, research and training.
Faculties, Centres and Institutes
Faculties in the University:
- Faculty of Arts and Social Science
- Faculty of Business and Finance
- Faculty of Engineering and Green Technology
- Faculty of Information and Communication Technology
- Faculty of Science
- Lee Kong Chian Faculty of Engineering and Science
- Faculty of Accountancy and Management
- Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Faculty of Creative Industries
Centres in the University:
- Centre for Foundation Studies (Kampar Campus)
- Centre for Foundation Studies (Sungai Long Campus)
- Centre for Childhood Education
- Centre for Extension Education (CEE)
Institutes in the University:
- Institute of Postgraduate Studies & Research
- Institute of Chinese Studies
- Institute of Management and Leadership Development
- Lecture theatres and tutorial rooms
- Online databases/e-journals
- Computer and internet laboratories
- Wireless Internet Access
- Macintosh laboratory
- Broadcasting laboratories
- Science laboratories which include Inorganic Chemistry Lab, Biotech & Biochem, Molecular Bio Lab, Biology and Chemistry Research Lab, etc.
- Engineering and building materials workshops
- Prayer rooms/surau
- Bus services
- Sports/gyms/recreational facilities
Scholarships and financial aid
The Malaysian Government offers the MyMaster, MyPhD and Industrial PhD schemes under the MyBrain15 to develop a pool of high-level intellectuals to spur the growth of research and innovation in the country. Malaysian students who meet the requirements can apply for financial grants under the MyBrain15 to pursue postgraduate programmes at UTAR.
For more details please refer to https://biasiswa.moe.gov.my/MyBrain15
Postgraduate Research Assistantships
UTAR appoints its postgraduate research students as research assistants under three schemes – Project Research Assistantship, Research Scholarship Scheme and Student Assistantship. The assistantships fully or partially cover the student’s tuition fees and monthly stipend. An appointment is usually for an academic year and is extended based on the performance of the project.
For more details on the terms and conditions, please refer to UTAR website at www.utar.edu.my/ipsr
Kindly refer to www.utar.edu.my/ipsr
Where to get application forms
Application forms can be downloaded from UTAR website at www.utar.edu.my/ipsr
- Kampar Campus, Perak
- Sg, Long Campus, Selangor