Biotechnology is seen as the technology that will “heal, feed and fuel” the world. Huge amounts of money have been poured into this area globally.
Biotechnology is seen as the technology that will “heal, feed and fuel” the world. Huge amounts of money have been poured into this area globally. The Malaysian government has identiﬁed Biotechnology as one of the focus areas for Malaysia‘s growth by launching the National Biotech Policy in April 28, 2005.
Since then, various new investors as well as traditional companies have invested in biotechnology-related products or turned to biotechnology in order to improve their products and make the manufacturing process easier, cleaner and more cost-eﬀective. This trend has created an ever-increasing job market for individuals trained in biotechnology. Moreover, in order for Malaysia to play in the global marketplace and win, Malaysia needs world-class people to lead world-class companies. Hence, it is very important for us to nurture potential talents to turn them into the best biotech brains in research and product development.
This coursework-based M.Sc. (Biotechnology) has been designed to provide graduates with in-depth conceptual understanding of the concept and techniques of the specialised areas of Biotechnology to meet the growing needs of the Biotechnology industry. This programme also trains learners to develop laboratory management and technical skills.
Teaching and Learning Features
This programme aims to provide students with an interesting and stimulating learning experience via various teaching and learning techniques and assessment strategies. Besides, theoretical knowledge, students will be trained to operate and maintain scientific equipment, to have good practical skills to enable them conduct basic guided research and laboratory work, as well as able to analyse, synthesise and integrate knowledge and information. Hence, students have to carry out extensive laboratory practicals for relevant subjects as well as to undertake intensive research projects. Successful completion of the research project is compulsory for the completion of the degree.
Assessment is an integral part of the learning process. Some involves a formal summative assessment but most involves continues assessment throughout the subject. Continuous assessment in the form of assignments will require students to be self-directed and learn through oral presentations, written reports, case studies, critical analysis on published scientific data, mini projects (individual or team), seminars and class discussions. Using various instructional media and technologies for learning, students will be thought how to identify and take advantage of unique opportunities and challenges involved in the assignments using various instructurial media and technologies for learning, students will be thought how to take advantage of real-life opportunities and challenges. For example, critical analysis of case studies and data interpretation exercises will help them analyse real-life biotechnology problems and apply the theories they study. In addition, they will also acquire communication skills, leadership skills and team-work necessary for pursuing their careers.
This programme promotes and nurtures lifelong scholarship and deep learning for career and personal advancement which enhances employability and other inter alia skills in the challenging Biotechnology field. Overall, biotechnology postgraduates can embark into their careers in the medical, health, food and beverage, wine, agricultural, chemical and environmental industries or into any Biotechnology-related PhD programme or be entrepreneurs upon completion of this programme.
Students are required to complete a minimum of 41 credits which include 2 University core subjects, 4 core Biotechnology subjects, 3 electives (inclusive of 1non-Science subject drawn from the MBA programme) and 10 credits worth of research project.
Tuition cost for 1.5 years which is minimum 4 semesters
- Malaysian students: RM 30, 450
- International students: RM 35, 875
Additional charges will be implemented as well,
- Science lab fee for both students: RM 4, 200
- Resources fee for Malaysian students (ICT, library, student activities, facilities): RM 600.00
- Resources fee for International student (ICT, library, student activities, facilities, medical plan): RM 650.00
Special case for international students
- First time payment after application: RM 25, 800
Approved undergraduate degree in the area of Biotechnology / Biology / Chemistry / Biochemistry / Microbiology / Genetics etc, with a minimum CGPA 2.5 or Classification of 2nd Lower.
English language requirements
As the programme’s medium of instruction is English, students must possess one of the following qualifications:
- TOFEL: a minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or a minimum score of 79 with no less than 17 in each four components (internet-based)
- IELTS: a minimum score of 6.0
- An undergraduate degree with English as its medium of instruction
Note: Candidates who fail to fulfil the above criteria may be required to take an English Proficiency Course at the University.
Application process for Malaysian students
All students must complete the Online Registration Form.
Submit by post the Online Registration Form and the following documents to the Student Enrolment Centre:
- A certified true copy of actual / forecast / trial examination results. For instance: SPM / 'O'- Levels, STPM / A-Levels, UEC, SAM, CPU or other equivalent qualifications.
- For exemption purposes - Diploma students (completed or currently still studying) must provide a certified transcript and Diploma Certificate (if applicable), together with the course syllabus.
- A photocopy of your Identification Card (IC), both sides.
- Three (3) copies of passport-size colour photograph.
- Other supporting documents for your application (if any), eg. TOEFL, IELTS, MUET etc.
For Postgraduate Applications, kindly include:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- A 2-3 page essay (i.e. your personal statement) in relation to your goals and objectives and how this programme will meet or enhance those objectives
A crossed cheque or bankdraft or Telegraphic Transfer (TT) for registration should be made payable to UCSI Education Sdn. Bhd. The Registration Fees are as follows:
- RM400 (All programmes in UCSI University, Kuala Terengganu Campus)
- RM650 (Postgraduate Programmes).
Application process for international students
Register online through the official website.
1. Academic Qualifications (PDF format)
For Postgraduate Applications, kindly include:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- 2-3 page essay (i.e. your personal statement) in relation to your goals and objectives and how this programme will meet or enhance those objectives
2. Passport copy (Multipage PDF format)
- Passport validity must not be less than 18 months from the date of admission/submission to the university.
- All pages of the passport – including the cover pages – are required (in colour).
- Kindly make sure that the page numbers of the passport are clearly visible.
3. Passport-sized photograph
- Coloured, with white background
- Photograph measurement: Height (45mm) and Width (35mm)
4. Medical Report Form (PDF format)
5. Accommodation Application Form (if required)
- Enclosed with non-refundable booking fee of RM1,000 (USD 340)
6. Additional Documents
- Declaration Letter: discrepancy of name on passport & academic transcripts; to be issued by home country’s Ministry of Education OR by home country's commissioner of oath.
- No Objection Certificate (NOC - Sudan): for students with Sudanese passport. To be issued by Sudan Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malasyia.
- Eligibility Letter (EL - Iran): for students with Iranian passport. To be issued by Iran Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
7. Telegraphic Transfer (TT) receipt of the Application Fee
- Fee for this course: RM 2,790
Telegraphic Transfer (TT) receipt of the Application Fee (inclusive of EMGS payment) (receipt copies are to be uploaded during online registration or emailed to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org).
Then, Conditional Letter of Offer (CLO) is required after meeting the entry requirements and receiving the payment (Applications Fee and EMGS Visa Processing Fee), the University will email a scanned copy of the Conditional Letter of Offer (CLO). Then, UCSI University will proceed to apply for the Visa Approval Letter on behalf of the student. This process will take approximately 8-10 weeks.
When remittance of the Initial Fees and Miscellaneous Fees (as stated in the LoA including total rental and deposit for staying at the Residential Hall) have been credited into UCSI University's bank account via Telegraphic Transfer (refer to Step 1), UCSI University will courier the original LoA and the Original Visa Approval Letter (VAL) to the student upon request only.
- Fees are subjected to change, for international student may have to refer to latest exchange rates.
- Additional cost my incurred depending on situation (Accommodation, laboratories equipment/materials, etc.)
- Encourage to study and research laws in Malaysia, as Malaysia is a majority muslim country. It is advisable for international students to understand the country's strict rules and culture.
- English is used as a teaching medium and a widely spoken language in Malaysia, if the requirements are not stated in the university webpage, advisable to contact the university's authority for further information about English requirements or English Entry Requirements.
- For scholarship opportunities, please browse through our webpage postgradasia.com to find out local and international opportunities.
- Encourage to visit https://www.ucsiuniversity.edu.my/ for deeper and more information.
UCSI University Kuala Lumpur Campus
- No. 1, Jalan Menara Gading, UCSI Heights (Taman Connaught), Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Tel: (+603) 9101 8880
- Fax: (+603) 9102 2614