M.Sc. (Applied Sciences) by Research aims to provide postgraduate learners with enhanced knowledge of Applied Sciences.
In the area of Biotechnology and Food Sciences, Applied Sciences is considered one of the key economic engines in the world in the ﬁelds of health sciences, food and fuel production. The government of Malaysia has launched the National Biotech Policy on April 28, 2005 and Biotechnology has been acknowledged as one of the focus areas for Malaysia’s growth. Much eﬀort has been taken to promote Malaysia as the main ‘Halal Hub’ for ‘Halal’ food processing and production. As a result of this, new and existing companies have invested in these areas, thus creating an ever-increasing job market for trained professionals in the ﬁeld.
M.Sc. (Applied Sciences) by Research aims to provide postgraduate learners with enhanced knowledge of Applied Sciences (e.g. in the areas of Biotechnology, Food Science and Nutrition) and the ability to adopt and apply this knowledge within their career. Learners will apply these principles and methods of scientiﬁc inquiries and research designs to plan and explore research questions; to operate key instruments in this specialised area; and to critically analyse and interpret information related to current issues and controversies in the sciences from a variety of sources.
With such skills, they will be able to conduct independent research and will be equipped with valuable transferable skills such as presentation techniques, communication skills (both written and oral), information and data handling, problem-solving abilities, teamwork and information technology knowledge. Furthermore, learners will also recognise the importance of life-long learning and will be well-prepared to meet any challenge that arises.
Teaching and Learning Features
This M.Sc. programme which focuses on research (thesis and publication) as the major requirement for its degree qualification requires students to obtain a pass in its two compulsory subjects i.e. Research Methodology for Scientists and Academic Communication. Thus, students must present their research proposal in the Subject Master Research Project Planning and obtain a “B – 70% and above” marks prior to beginning their research project. Research work is graded as Satisfactory (S) or Unsatisfactory (U), and students must obtain “S” on their research progress report as well as their supervisor’s recommendation each semester to enable them to continue their candidature until their thesis submission. To obtain their degree, students must complete their research project and defend their research dissertation. Therafter, they are encouraged to present their research at research seminars and conferences and also to publish their findings in scientific journals.
In addition, MSc. students will also be exposed to current issues and technological advances in Applied Sciences through various seminars by academia / industry players in their respective specialised area.
This programme promotes and nurtures lifelong scholarship and deep learning for career and personal advancements to enhance employability and other inter alia skills in handling the daily challenges of the ever-growing realms of Applied Sciences, i.e Biotechnology or Food Science. Overall, postgraduates can embark into their career-choices in areas related to the medical, health, food and beverage, wine, agricultural, chemical and environmental industries or into any relevant PhD programmes or become an / a academic / researcher upon completion of this programme.
- Thesis and research are the major requirements for learners to attain the degree. However, learners need to take 2 compulsory subjects (i.e. Research Methodology for Scientists and Academic Communication) and pass these 2 subjects to graduate.
- In addition, learners will have to prepare for and present their research proposal - for the Master Research Project Planning and Proposal Presentation subject - and are required to obtain a minimum grade B or above, in order for them to start their research project.
- Research work is graded as Satisfactory (S) or Unsatisfactory (U); learners are required to obtain an “S” grade – based on their research progress report – and a recommendation by their supervisor each semester in order for them to continue their candidature until the submission of their thesis (minimum of 3 semesters of research).
- Learners are encouraged to present their research work in research seminars and at conferences and are also encouraged to publish their research ﬁndings in scientiﬁc journals. All information is correct at the time of upload and UCSI University reserves the right to make amendments without prior notice.
Tuition cost for 1.5 years which is minimum 4 semesters
- Malaysian students: RM 21, 750
- International students: RM 22, 875
Additional charges will be implemented as well,
- Thesis fee for both students: RM 2, 500
- Semester extensions for both students, semester 5 onwards: RM 5, 000
- Science lab fee for both students: RM 1, 800
- Resources fee for Malaysian students (ICT, library, student activities, facilities): RM 600.00
- Resources fee for International student (ICT, library, student activities, facilities, medical plan): RM 650.00
Special case for international students
- First time payment after application: RM 24, 600
Approved undergraduate degree with honours in the area of Biotechnology / Biology / Chemistry / Biochemistry / Microbiology / Genetics / Food Science and Nutrition etc., with a minimum CGPA 2.75 or Classification of 2nd Upper.
English language requirements
As the programme’s medium of instruction is English, students must possess one of the following qualifications:
- TOFEL: a minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or a minimum score of 79 with no less than 17 in each four components (internet-based)
- IELTS: a minimum score of 6.0
- An undergraduate degree with English as its medium of instruction
Note: Candidates who fail to fulfil the above criteria may be required to take an English Proficiency Course at the University
Application process for Malaysian students
All students must complete the Online Registration Form.
Submit by post the Online Registration Form and the following documents to the Student Enrolment Centre:
- A certified true copy of actual / forecast / trial examination results. For instance: SPM / 'O'- Levels, STPM / A-Levels, UEC, SAM, CPU or other equivalent qualifications.
- For exemption purposes - Diploma students (completed or currently still studying) must provide a certified transcript and Diploma Certificate (if applicable), together with the course syllabus.
- A photocopy of your Identification Card (IC), both sides.
- Three (3) copies of passport-size colour photograph.
- Other supporting documents for your application (if any), eg. TOEFL, IELTS, MUET etc.
For Postgraduate Applications, kindly include:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- A 2-3 page essay (i.e. your personal statement) in relation to your goals and objectives and how this programme will meet or enhance those objectives
A crossed cheque or bankdraft or Telegraphic Transfer (TT) for registration should be made payable to UCSI Education Sdn. Bhd. The Registration Fees are as follows:
- RM400 (All programmes in UCSI University, Kuala Terengganu Campus)
- RM650 (Postgraduate Programmes).
Application process for international students
Register online through the official website.
1. Academic Qualifications (PDF format)
For Postgraduate Applications, kindly include:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- 2-3 page essay (i.e. your personal statement) in relation to your goals and objectives and how this programme will meet or enhance those objectives
2. Passport copy (Multipage PDF format)
- Passport validity must not be less than 18 months from the date of admission/submission to the university.
- All pages of the passport – including the cover pages – are required (in colour).
- Kindly make sure that the page numbers of the passport are clearly visible.
3. Passport-sized photograph
- Coloured, with white background
- Photograph measurement: Height (45mm) and Width (35mm)
4. Medical Report Form (PDF format)
5. Accommodation Application Form (if required)
- Enclosed with non-refundable booking fee of RM1,000 (USD 340)
6. Additional Documents
- Declaration Letter: discrepancy of name on passport & academic transcripts; to be issued by home country’s Ministry of Education OR by home country's commissioner of oath.
- No Objection Certificate (NOC - Sudan): for students with Sudanese passport. To be issued by Sudan Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malasyia.
- Eligibility Letter (EL - Iran): for students with Iranian passport. To be issued by Iran Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
7. Telegraphic Transfer (TT) receipt of the Application Fee
- Fee for this course: RM 2,790
Telegraphic Transfer (TT) receipt of the Application Fee (inclusive of EMGS payment) (receipt copies are to be uploaded during online registration or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com).
Then, Conditional Letter of Offer (CLO) is required after meeting the entry requirements and receiving the payment (Applications Fee and EMGS Visa Processing Fee), the University will email a scanned copy of the Conditional Letter of Offer (CLO). Then, UCSI University will proceed to apply for the Visa Approval Letter on behalf of the student. This process will take approximately 8-10 weeks.
When remittance of the Initial Fees and Miscellaneous Fees (as stated in the LoA including total rental and deposit for staying at the Residential Hall) have been credited into UCSI University's bank account via Telegraphic Transfer (refer to Step 1), UCSI University will courier the original LoA and the Original Visa Approval Letter (VAL) to the student upon request only.
- Fees are subjected to change, for international student may have to refer to latest exchange rates.
- Additional cost my incurred depending on situation (Accommodation, laboratories equipment/materials, etc.)
- Encourage to study and research laws in Malaysia, as Malaysia is a majority muslim country. It is advisable for international students to understand the country's strict rules and culture.
- English is used as a teaching medium and a widely spoken language in Malaysia, if the requirements are not stated in the university webpage, advisable to contact the university's authority for further information about English requirements or English Entry Requirements.
- For scholarship opportunities, please browse through our webpage postgradasia.com to find out local and international opportunities.
- Encourage to visit https://www.ucsiuniversity.edu.my/ for deeper and more information.
UCSI University Kuala Lumpur Campus
- No. 1, Jalan Menara Gading, UCSI Heights (Taman Connaught), Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Tel: (+603) 9101 8880
- Fax: (+603) 9102 2614