It is designed for the development of safe and effective medications using various fields of scientific knowledge.
UCSI’s Doctor of Philosophy (Pharmaceutical Sciences) is a multidisciplinary postgraduate degree. It is designed for the development of safe and effective medications using various fields of scientific knowledge. This includes chemistry, medicinal chemistry, physiology, pharmacology, microbiology, pharmacokinetics, pharmaceutics and formulation science. These fields are highly in demand in the pharmaceutical industry, which is worth US$300 billion a year according to the World Health Organisation. In Malaysia, the government has identified the domestic pharmaceutical industry as one of the key areas to be developed under its new economic development plan, as reported in the Mega Science Report by the Academy of Science Malaysia.
The PhD (Pharmaceutical Sciences) is flexible enough to be pursued by those with a pharmaceutical or science qualification. Graduates of this qualification will be equipped with advanced knowledge in research planning, experimental design and scientific analysis.
The Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences is driven by academic staff members who are respected researchers in their own right. Thus, candidates of this PhD have the opportunity to work with UCSI researchers on actual projects funded by grants received internally as well as externally. Positions as paid research assistants are also available, and with the wide range of research areas pursued by various staff, interested candidates have the freedom to discuss their affinities with the relevant staff member.
The Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences consists of qualified and experienced lecturers to guide PhD candidates in their research projects. Among the research interests of our faculty members are pharmacology, physiology, bioinformatics, medicinal chemistry, drug formulation, clinical pharmacy, and pharmacy practice The constant availability of research funding, both internal and external grants, ensures the quality and continuity of research activities in the Faculty.
The programme’s comprehensive design and delivery paves the way for careers in advance scientific research of various institutions including (i) research institutes, (ii) drug regulatory agencies, (iii) academia.
Tuition cost for 5 years full time with the cost is based on each semester.
Malaysian student per semester cost: RM 6, 000
International student per semester cost on the first year: RM 12, 000
International student per semester cost after the first year: RM 6, 000
- Malaysian students total for 5 years: RM 60, 000
- International students total for 5 years: RM 72, 000
Additional charges will be implemented as well,
- Resources fee for Malaysian students (ICT, library, student activities, facilities): RM 600.00
- Resources fee for International student (ICT, library, student activities, facilities, medical plan): RM 650.00
- Science lab per subject fee for International student: RM 600
- Thesis examination fee for both students: RM 2, 500
Special case for international students
- First time payment after application: RM 24, 600
- Master’s degree or equivalent only
- (Applicant with a Bachelor’s degree of first class or CGPA >3.67, to be referred to faculty for further discussion)
- A Master’s degree or equivalent professional qualification in a relevant discipline, as recognised by the Senate
English language requirements
Minimum IELTS of 6.0 (overall & every section) or TOEFL 570/230/105, to be obtained before admission.
English Language Course Exemption:
Applicants who are pursuing Bachelor’s & Master’s degrees in other universities that use English as the medium of instruction may be exempted from taking English classes at UCSI University if the alma mater’s Registrar issues an official letter indicating so to the University. Applicants may be required to attend an interview, conducted by UCSI’s faculty experts, or sit for a written test before they are accepted for admission. Prior to the interview, the applicant is also required to submit a research idea outline.
Application process for Malaysian students
All students must complete the Online Registration Form.
Submit by post the Online Registration Form and the following documents to the Student Enrolment Centre:
- A certified true copy of actual / forecast / trial examination results. For instance: SPM / 'O'- Levels, STPM / A-Levels, UEC, SAM, CPU or other equivalent qualifications.
- For exemption purposes - Diploma students (completed or currently still studying) must provide a certified transcript and Diploma Certificate (if applicable), together with the course syllabus.
- A photocopy of your Identification Card (IC), both sides.
- Three (3) copies of passport-size colour photograph.
- Other supporting documents for your application (if any), eg. TOEFL, IELTS, MUET etc.
For Postgraduate Applications, kindly include:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- A 2-3 page essay (i.e. your personal statement) in relation to your goals and objectives and how this programme will meet or enhance those objectives
A crossed cheque or bankdraft or Telegraphic Transfer (TT) for registration should be made payable to UCSI Education Sdn. Bhd. The Registration Fees are as follows:
- RM400 (All programmes in UCSI University, Kuala Terengganu Campus)
- RM650 (Postgraduate Programmes)
Application process for international students
Register online through the official website.
1. Academic Qualifications (PDF format)
For Postgraduate Applications, kindly include:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- 2-3 page essay (i.e. your personal statement) in relation to your goals and objectives and how this programme will meet or enhance those objectives
2. Passport copy (Multipage PDF format)
- Passport validity must not be less than 18 months from the date of admission/submission to the university.
- All pages of the passport – including the cover pages – are required (in colour).
- Kindly make sure that the page numbers of the passport are clearly visible.
3. Passport-sized photograph
- Coloured, with white background
- Photograph measurement: Height (45mm) and Width (35mm)
4. Medical Report Form (PDF format)
5. Accommodation Application Form (if required)
- Enclosed with non-refundable booking fee of RM1,000 (USD 340)
6. Additional Documents
- Declaration Letter: discrepancy of name on passport & academic transcripts; to be issued by home country’s Ministry of Education OR by home country's commissioner of oath.
- No Objection Certificate (NOC - Sudan): for students with Sudanese passport. To be issued by Sudan Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malasyia.
- Eligibility Letter (EL - Iran): for students with Iranian passport. To be issued by Iran Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
7. Telegraphic Transfer (TT) receipt of the Application Fee
- Fee for this course: RM 2,790
Telegraphic Transfer (TT) receipt of the Application Fee (inclusive of EMGS payment) (receipt copies are to be uploaded during online registration or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com).
Then, Conditional Letter of Offer (CLO) is required after meeting the entry requirements and receiving the payment (Applications Fee and EMGS Visa Processing Fee), the University will email a scanned copy of the Conditional Letter of Offer (CLO). Then, UCSI University will proceed to apply for the Visa Approval Letter on behalf of the student. This process will take approximately 8-10 weeks.
When remittance of the Initial Fees and Miscellaneous Fees (as stated in the LoA including total rental and deposit for staying at the Residential Hall) have been credited into UCSI University's bank account via Telegraphic Transfer (refer to Step 1), UCSI University will courier the original LoA and the Original Visa Approval Letter (VAL) to the student upon request only.
- Fees are subjected to change, for international student may have to refer to latest exchange rates.
- Additional cost my incurred depending on situation (Accommodation, laboratories equipment/materials, etc.)
- Encourage to study and research laws in Malaysia, as Malaysia is a majority muslim country. It is advisable for international students to understand the country's strict rules and culture.
- English is used as a teaching medium and a widely spoken language in Malaysia, if the requirements are not stated in the university webpage, advisable to contact the university's authority for further information about English requirements or English Entry Requirements.
- For scholarship opportunities, please browse through our webpage postgradasia.com to find out local and international opportunities.
- Encourage to visit https://www.ucsiuniversity.edu.my/ for deeper and more information.
UCSI University Kuala Lumpur Campus
- No. 1, Jalan Menara Gading, UCSI Heights (Taman Connaught), Cheras 56000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Tel: (+603) 9101 8880
- Fax: (+603) 9102 2614