This research degree enables you to undertake substantial (30,000-40,000 words) independent research on a chosen topic, while under the supervision of an expert academic.
Enrolment in a master's by research degree involves the independent investigation of a research problem that has been formulated by you as the student. It is expected that the research you undertake will make a contribution to the discipline in which you are enrolled by applying, critiquing, analysing or interpreting that knowledge in ways that facilitate pathways for further learning. You will be supported in your research by a supervisory team.
- These course outcomes are aligned with the Australian Qualifications Framework level 9 and Monash Graduate Attributes.
- Successful completion of the degree will signify that the student has successfully completed a course of research training under proper academic supervision and has submitted a thesis (or equivalent) that the examiners are satisfied makes a contribution to knowledge and understanding in the field.
Conditions of enrolment
You will be required to complete:
- Monash Graduate Research Induction (online)
- Research Integrity (online)
- any faculty or program induction requirements
As a student of the university, you will be required to abide by all relevant statutes, regulations, policies and procedures. This includes maintaining satisfactory progress via regular milestone reviews in accordance with the Graduate Research Progress Management policy and procedures, ensuring you are undertaking research of an appropriate quality and scale as required by your course. You should refer to the University's current statutes and the University Policy Bank for links to relevant policies, procedures and guidelines.
- This course consists of a research and thesis (or equivalent) component.
You must, in consultation with and under the direct supervision of a member/s of the academic staff:
1. Carry out a program of research on an agreed topic approved by the school of enrolment in your chosen discipline for a specified period, including attending and/or presenting at seminars and other related activities as indicated by the relevant discipline
2. Submit for assessment a thesis of not more than 40,000 words (or equivalent) on the program of research which meets the requirements of the examiners. Submission of a thesis including published works may be permitted.
In the following specialisations, non-traditional research outputs are to be submitted in lieu of a thesis:
a. Creative writing - a piece of creative writing of not more than 25,000 words with an accompanying exegesis of not more than 15,000 words.
b. Music composition - a folio of music compositions with a minimum playing time of 45 minutes with an accompanying exegesis of not more than 15,000 words.
c. Music performance:
- Option A: 90-minute creative portfolio of musical works and 7,000 - 9,000 word written research report
- Option B: 60-minute creative portfolio of musical works and 15,000 - 18,000 word exegesis
d. Theatre performance - a performance project of a minimum of 60 minutes with an accompanying exegesis of not more than 15,000 words.
3. If undertaking research in philosophy, complete the activities outlined for the following program:
- Philosophy research masters program
You can apply for the Master of Arts at Monash Malaysia throughout the year, subject to availability of supervision.
In 2018, annual tuition fees for this course are:
- RM40,280 for Malaysian students
- RM44,308 for international students
- Application - RM100
- Registration - RM200
- General amenities - RM100
Visa application fee for new international student
- Indonesia - RM 3,360
- Other countries - RM 2,380
To enter Monash University Malaysia, students must satisfy particular academic, English language and age requirements.
To apply for the Master of Arts, you must have completed:
- A four year Australian or New Zealand bachelor's degree with an overall result of upper H2B (Second Class Honours Division B, mark of 65-69) or above (normally with a research component in the fourth year)
- An Australian or New Zealand master's preliminary qualification with a significant research component and with an overall result of upper H2B (mark of 65-69) or above
- An Australian or New Zealand coursework master's degree with a significant research component, and with an overall result of upper H2B (mark of 65-69) or above
- An Australian or New Zealand research master's degree with an overall result of upper H2B (mark of 65-69) or above
- A qualification considered equivalent to one of the above
English language requirements
Sound English language skills are required for all academic programs at Monash. You can demonstrate your English language proficiency through one of the following:
- Studying English at Year 12 or equivalent
- Studying at an institution where English is the language of instruction
- English Proficiency Tests
- Monash English Bridging
If you have achieved more than one of the English language requirements over a period of time, only the most recent demonstration of English proficiency will be considered.
You must meet specific English language requirements when applying for our master’s and doctoral research degrees.
Submission of evidence
You must submit full documentary evidence in support of English proficiency with your application for candidature. If your first language is not English, or where degree qualifications were not undertaken in the English language, Monash reserves the right to seek further documentary evidence of English proficiency.
- Fees are subjected to change, for international student may have to refer to latest exchange rates.
- Additional cost my incurred depending on situation (Accommodation, laboratories equipment/materials, etc.)
- Encourage to study and research laws in Malaysia, as Malaysia is a majority muslim country. It is advisable for international students to understand the country's strict rules and culture.
- English is used as a teaching medium and a widely spoken language in Malaysia, if the requirements are not stated in the university webpage, advisable to contact the university's authority for further information about English requirements or English Entry Requirements.
- For scholarship opportunities, please browse through our webpage postgradasia.com to find out local and international opportunities.
- Encourage to visit https://www.monash.edu/ for deeper and more information.
- Tel: +60 3 5514 6000
- Fax: +60 3 5514 6001