This course provides advanced training in implant dentistry designed for practitioners who wish to include implants into their clinical practice and to develop their skills to place implants.
- This course is a mixture of both research and coursework
There is a total of 6 modules in the course. There will be a compulsory 5-day block for each of the modules. These will be held in IMU whereby there will be face-to-face activities such as lectures, seminars, practical sessions (hands-on), case-based discussion etc. There will not be any patient treatment during these sessions. After the 5-day block, the remaining teaching/learning activities eg. seminars and case-based learning are conducted online and through web conferencing. Students will have the option of treating the clinical cases in IMU Oral Health Centre under direct supervision or in their own dental practice with initial direct supervision and later by distant supervision using a video recording system. The length/duration of each module is approximately 6-8 weeks. The entire programme stretches over 43 weeks covering teaching/learning activities and examinations.
Students will be required to understand the rationale for the choice of implant systems. The PGDID programme is not system-based. We shall be teaching/exposing the students to implant systems with good research evidence of success that include Nobel Biocare and Zimmer.
Dental practitioners who have registered for the course are guided and mentored to fulfill the requirements of the course in one year. However, those who may not be able to commit the time to fulfill the requirements will be provided an allowance to complete the requirements up to a period of three years. You will receive guidance from successful specialist practitioners on how to prepare your clinic to provide implant treatment for your patients for successful fulfillment of course requirements. Alternatively, dental practitioners may select to partially or fully complete the clinical requirements at the IMU Oral Health Centre.
- School of Dentistry
- IMU Main Campus, Bukit Jalil, Malaysia
Effective 2016, there will be a 15% reduction in postgraduate tuition fees for all IMU alumni who are self-funding their postgraduate study and meet the eligibility criteria.
- Total cost - RM 55, 000
- Total cost - RM 68, 750
Applicants are required to have the following:
- Registered as a dental surgeon with the Malaysian Dental Council (MDC) or equivalent in the student’s home country.
- Having at least two years post-graduation clinical experience.
- Participants who possess a current Annual Practice Certificate(APC) to practise dentistry in Malaysia.
- Participants who are eligible to practise dentistry in Malaysia with a Temporary Practice Certificate(TPC).
- All candidates need to be issued an APC or TPC(whichever is applicable) that is specific to the IMU Oral Health Centre(OHC) to be eligible to attend the clinical sessions in the centre during the period of the study.
- Participants should be able to demonstrate an interest in the use of dental implants with appropriate baseline knowledge and skills in oral surgery and restorative dentistry
English language requirement
International applicants are required to have either of the following:
- IELTS of a score of 5.0
- Cambridge English: Advanced of a score of 160
- Cambridge English: Proficiency of a score of 180
- Pearson Test of English of a score of 36
- TOEFL (PBT)of a score of 410 - 413
- TOEFL (iBT) of a score of 34
There is a processing fee required to be paid to the university upon applying for a course in IMU.
For the medicine and dentistry programmes, in addition to the academic qualifications, IMU requires all candidates to attend an oral interview, which is designed to provide us with further insight about the candidates, before a final decision of the selection is made.
International student matters
International students who wish to study in a Malaysian institution must apply for a Student Pass before entering Malaysia. Conversion of a Social Pass (Tourist Pass) is STRICTLY not allowed. Student Pass application takes 8 weeks for approval. This duration is just an estimation and it is dependent on EMGS and Immigration Department. Upon receiving the Letter of Offer, students must ensure that they accept the offer before the deadline by making payment for the necessary tuition fee and visa application fee as stated in the letter. Also, we advise that all documents are sent to us three (3) months before the intake date. It is important that you follow the guidelines strictly to avoid delays in your visa application. The University holds no responsibility for late submission. Please visit http://www.imu.edu.my/imu/support-services/application-requirements-proc...for deeper details.
Important documents to be noted:
- Student Pass / Visa processing fee of RM2,500; fee is paid to EMGS (non-refundable) via IMU.
- Completed Pre-Arrival Medical Health Examination Report.
- 6 passport-size photographs (white background – size 3.5cm X 4.5cm).
- 2 photocopies of passport (ALL pages including blank pages. Passport copies should be clear and printed on single-sided A4 paper).
- Please ensure that your passport has a validity of at least 18 months from intake date.
- Fees are subjected to change, for international student may have to refer to latest exchange rates.
- Additional cost my incurred depending on situation (Accommodation, laboratories equipment/materials, etc.)
- Encourage to study and research laws in Malaysia, as a Muslim majority country, it is advisable for international students to understand our country's strict rules and culture.
- English is used as a teaching medium and a widely spoken language in Malaysia, if the requirements are not stated in the university webpage, advisable to contact the university's authority for further information about English requirements or English Entry Requirements.
- For scholarship opportunities, please browse through our webpage postgradasia.com to find out local and international opportunities.
- Encourage to visit http://www.imu.edu.my/imu/ for deeper and more information.
IMU MAIN CAMPUSBUKIT JALIL
- No.126, Jalan Jalil Perkasa 19,Bukit Jalil,57000 Kuala Lumpur,Malaysia
- +603 8656 7228